To celebrate bookshops everywhere this weekend you are invited to a big party in bookshops across Australia. Love Your Bookshop Day is a chance to celebrate what makes your local bookshop great. Is it the staff, or the events or most importantly the range of books they have in store? Whatever it is you love about your local bookshop, head in store tomorrow 12th August to enjoy the celebrations.
Some of our top pick events include;
Gallery Shop, Art Gallery NSW
- Staff literary dress ups!
- Prizes for best book costume
- Storytime for kids at 10.30am, 11.30am & 2.30pm with art mini activities and free colouring in bookmarks from Faber-Castell Australia
- Purchase any Faber-Castell product $ receive a free copy of the Magical Cities Colouring Book
- Treats and balloons
- Art scavenger hunt
- Spend $20 to enter the draw for a huge book hamper
Berkelouw Books Leichhardt
- 9.30am: Teddy Bear’s Picnic: Stories, songs, craft and a picnic – bring your own teddy!
- 2-3pm: Free Graphic Novel workshop for kids (7+) with Charlotte Rose Hamlyn, author of Opposite Land
- Bookmark Making workshop for adults & kids
- Design Your Own Book Covers
- Fill in the blanks writing competition – win a book voucher!
- Staff will be dressed as literary characters – wear a costume too for a chance to win a book pack
The Children’s Bookshop Beecroft
- Meet author Melanie Alexander (Lexie and Lottie)
- Author Tim Harriswriting in the bookshop window
- Party with author Jacqueline Harvey
- Picture book launch with author Margrete Lamond
- Signings, competitons & prizes!
- Meet the Super Moopers, a brand new kids series by Fiona Harris and Scott Edgar. Kids will be entertained with stories, songs and drawings.
- 11am: Special story time with children’s author Sally Rippin. Sally will read from her new series, Polly and Buster.
The Little Bookroom Carlton North
- Celebrate #loveyourbookshopday with continuous storytime. Bring your favourite read-aloud picture book & take a turn in the story time chair or soak up stories on the story time rug.
- Bookish giveaways!
- Helium balloons!
Tim’s Bookshop Kew East
- To celebrate #loveyourbookshopday & the 20th anniversary of Harry Potter, both our stores are being transformed into wizarding wonderlands!
- Draw an Owl competition, fairyfloss & activity sheets at both stores
- Face painting at Canterbury store
- Lucky dips at Kew store
Where The Wild Things Are Bookshop
- RAINBOW BOOK PARTY-Anna and Kasia, our picture book and storytelling specialists will share their favourite books about all things bright colours and celebrations. Get crafty at the end by making your own rainbow keepsakes and chomp on a rainbow strawberry for the journey home! Ages 0-8
Dillons Norwood Bookshop
- 2pm reading of I Spy Animals by author Bronwyn Lindsay
- Animal facepainting
- Dog selfie competition
- Win a book hamper!
- Young Writers group
- Fairy bread
- Balloons GALORE
- Tell us why you LOVE Mostly Books – winner announced on LYBD!
- Illustrator Robin Tatlow-Lord will be instore drawing kids portraits
Paper Bird Children’s Books & Arts Fremantle
- Bring your favourite pet or teddy and meet authors & illustrators Mark Greenwood, Frane Lessac, James Foley, Kylie Howarth, Samantha Hughes, Raewyn Caisley, Meg McKinley, Nadia King, Liliana Stafford, Catherine Carvell & Norman Jorgenson. All creatures great and small are welcome!
- In honour of the new book in the series, The 91st Storey Treehouseby Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton, we’re having a Treehouse Fun Day! Join us for loads of exciting activities including a colouring competition, treehouse activity pages, games, quizzes, cupcakes and a prize for the BEST costume inspired by the Treehouse series.
- Cupcakes and iced tea from T2
MacLean’s Booksellers Hamilton
- Massive Mystery Giveaway all day – over 100 advance copies of books to be won!
- 2.30 – 3.30pm: Join our special all-ages story time dressed as your favourite book character!
- 2.30 – 4pm: Nibble on cupcakes & sip on champers as you browse the shelves
Harry Hartog Westfield Kotara
- Join the Kotara bookselling team and special guest authors Katrina McKelvey – children’s author and Kirrili Lonergan Illustrator to celebrate Love Your Bookshop Day with a special Saturday storytime at 10am.
For more events at your local bookshop in your city CLICK HERE.