Winter is definitely upon us enticing us to stay indoors however there are some fabulous outdoor family friendly winter events happening around Australia this June-August. See our top picks below…
- It’s whale season! Head to www.wildaboutwhales.com.au to check out the best locations along the east coast to view these spectacular creatures as they make their way to warmer waters.
- Skating At Festival returns to Cathedral Square this June/July. Strap on some skates, grab a snow tube and hold on for the ice ride of your life, get some air and bounce like a Kanga on our inflatable slide or thaw out in the cosy bar with a great range of drinks to warm you up from the inside out!
- Check out the spectacular light installation at VIVID Sydney 2018 until the 16th June!
- Australia’s only beachside ice rink returns to Bondi on the 29th June with the chance to ice skate in the sunshine or under the stars with the sound of waves in the background!
- Enjoy traditional activities such as medieval dancing and music, the Full Flight Birds of Prey medieval falconry display and jesters at this year’s Winterfest Sydney Medieval Fair.
- Get your skates on at the Smoothfm Ice Rink, Sydney’s biggest open-air rink! With so much on offer, including an ice slide, a dedicated kid’s rink, and an illuminated ferris wheel, Winterlight is the place to be these July school holidays!
- Back by popular demand, ice skating returns to Luna Park Sydney these July School Holidays! The ice rink is accessible with your Unlimited Rides Pass, purchase one now to use for Winterfest!
- The Skating At Festival will be popping up in three locations across Victoria this winter ; Southbank, St Kilda and Sorrento. Strap on your skates and enjoy the wintery activities at the Skating At Festival this June/July.
- The Winter Solstice Festival @ EDENDALE FARM in Eltham is a great event for the whole family to celebrate the longest night of the year! There will be something for everyone ~ Live music, delicious food, a wonderful kids’ lantern parade, mulled wine, pony rides, fire entertainers and an enormous, sculptural bonfire.
- The Winter Solstice Bonfire returns to Collingwood Children’s Farm on Saturday 23rd June. In addition to the bonfire there will also be lantern puppets, gypsy music, food and drink stalls and lots more.
- All aboard the Snow Train bound for historic Walhalla or travel through to Traralgon this winter season. Jump aboard a vintage train and escape Melbourne for a day into the snowy mountains with the family.
- The Docklands Firelight Festival will return for a second year from 29 June – 1 July in 2018. This winter, the festival is expanding to include Victoria Harbour to accommodate the larger crowds expected to attend to allow for more events and activations.
- Come join the hills community to celebrate the 12th annual Belgrave Lantern Parade, to light the longest night!
- Snow (of the faux variety), sensational wintery lights and a suave little gingerbread man are set to return to Sovereign Hill for the multi-award winning Christmas in July Winter Wonderlights from Saturday 30 June – Sunday 22 July 2018.
- It’s whale watching season! Get up close and personal with majestic humpback whales as they pass by the South East Queensland coast to the warm, tropical waters of Queensland
- The Northey Street City Farm has been celebrating the Winter Solstice for over 20 years with an annual festival for the local community with live music, dancing, workshops and talks for all ages, yummy food, ceremony, a lantern parade and of course our mesmerising bonfire. The Winter Solstice Festival returns for another year on Saturday 23rd June.
- The Skating At Festival will be popping up in King George Square Brisbane from the 22nd June-15th July. Strap on your skates and enjoy the wintery activities at the Skating At Festival his winter.
- The Sandstone Point Hotel are firing up for their BIGGEST Bonfire Night yet on Saturday 7th July! Offering Brisbane’s biggest bonfires, fire twirlers, kids rides, food stalls, live music, FIREWORKS plus much more.
- Port Winterfest is returning bigger, better and COOLER than ever from the 6th-22nd July just in time for the school holidays. Don’t miss the pop-up ice-skating rink, winter markets, live shows, workshops for young and old, feasts for foodies and so much more.
- Winter Wonderland returns to Glenelg. Strap on your skates and glide under SA’s first clear domed marquee on Moseley Square and this year, why not try your hand at Tobogganing down a 25m genuine ice slide. Come rain, hail or shine; morning, noon or night bring the family and skate by Adelaide’s favourite beach.
- The Skating At Festival will be popping up in Victoria Square Adelaide from the 29th June-22nd July. Strap on your skates and enjoy the wintery activities at the Skating At Festival his winter.
- Experience a spectacular Winter Wonderland at Stamford Plaza Adelaide with our Winter Wonderland High Tea. Enjoy a toasty afternoon filled with a large selection of premium teas and delicious savoury and sweet treats.
- Winterworld Fremantle returns celebrating the true magic of a European winter in the heart of Fremantle. A wondrous place where families and friends rug up and come together to revel in the magic of our favourite season!
- The Skating At Festival will be popping up in Elizabeth Quay Perth from the 29th June-22nd July. Strap on your skates and enjoy the wintery activities at the Skating At Festival his winter.
- Winter by the Sea returns to Sorrento Quay Boardwalk this winter! There will be carnival rides, winter arts and craft activities and Old Mac Donald’s Farm!
- The Brookfield Winter Lights festival returns in 2018 with an exciting new showcase of light installations, projections and entertainment – all designed to leave you breathless! From 20-30 June, the heritage buildings in Brookfield Place will be illuminated in a dazzling display of colour, light and nostalgic, multi-world adventures run nightly from 6-11pm.
- The Wallsend Winter Fair is a free fun filled, family friendly day. It is one of the largest, if not the largest street event in the Newcastle LGA; attracting up to 30,000 visitors throughout the day. The Wallsend Winter Fair is an annual event, held on the 2nd Sunday in August each year … 12th August 2018.
- Hunter Valley Gardens celebrates the coolest season of all, with the return of their annual event – Snow Time in the Gardens. Enjoy amazing icy activities under sunny winter skies surrounded by beautiful gardens.